foodbuzz ad

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Carrot Cake Confessions

 

I have a carrot problem .

There, I said it .

I buy too many carrots. I eat too many carrots. But I never really bake with carrots.

I was considering making an apple cake but was inspired to try something different . This recipe is a mesh of about 4 recipes. It is so altered ( as are most of my recipes ) because I am too stubborn to go to the store for ingredients I don’t have ,  that there is no point in linking to the original recipes . It would only cause confusion.

DSCN3595

Make this when you have the urge to bake but are living in a chocolate free ( and sad ) house

Make this when you need something different on your counter and on your fork

.DSCN3591DSCN3593

I let this cake cool over night and iced it with a basic cream cheese icing. It makes one layer of a round cake pan or a small square. You could easily double the recipe to create a layer cake.

This cake is too delicious for me to explain .

But the proof is in the pictures. I was so eager to taste this cake , I forgot to photograph it until I had already sliced into it. Unfortunately I do not make Pacman shaped cakes on purpose.

 

DSCN3596

 

Carrot Cake

  • 1 cup peeled , steamed and pureed carrots  
  • 2/3 c. margarine or butter
  • 1/4 c. water
  • 1/2 c. packed organic brown sugar
  • 2/3 c. white sugar
  • 1/2 t. vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1 t. baking powder
  • 1/2 t. baking soda
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1 t. cinnamon

METHOD :

Preheat oven 350

1/ Peel and slice into large hunks a few carrots. I used about 6 large ones and ended up with about 1 3/4 cup . I fed the leftover to the dog

Place in steamer basket . When soft, remove and puree. Set aside.

2/Cream together butter , pureed carrots and sugars. Add vanilla and water.

3/ Mix in cinnamon, salt , baking soda, baking powder and flour. Do not over mix.

4/Spread into a greased or cooking sprayed pan ( 8x8) I used one 8 inch round cake pan and bake 15-25 minutes ( depends on your pan ) .

1 comment:

  1. omg that looks awesome! I just made the banana bread and tossed in some mini chocolate chips.

    ReplyDelete

Tip Your Waiter